Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Ayurvedic: Methi(Fenugreek) Powder

Fenugreek, Methi Powder, Greek Hay or Trigonella foenum-graecum, is an herb that grows in warm semi-arid regions of the world, especially the Middle East. It is an annual herb from the bean family that grows up to 20 inches in height.

It produces light yellow flowers and emanates a fragrance that persists on hands after touching. Its seeds are powdered and used as a spice.

Fenugreek seeds have many healing benefits, and can ease poor digestion, painful menstruation and increase breast milk, as well as aid in diabetic treatments.

Ground fenugreek seeds can help heal burns and boils; mixed with oil, it can also make hair shine, silky and can aid in promotion of hair growth when applied to the scalp.
As listed above methi (fenugreek) powder have many benefits and uses, the main benefit I will be looking at, is its benefits for the hair and scalp.

Uses of Methi (Fenugreek) Powder for the Hair:    This natural herb boasts of very potent seeds that help treat balding, hair fall and thinning of hair. Boil the methi seeds and soak them overnight in coconut oil in order to form the hair tonic. The following morning, massage your hair with this mixture for six minutes while concentrating on balding areas. Perform this action daily over several months and you will surely see the difference. Not only is methi effective in treating baldness, but it is also beneficial in preventing dandruffs.

 

My Methi (Fenugreek) Powder Experience:

170220114687 170220114688

170220114689 170220114690

I did a methi (fenugreek) powder mix, I used warm boiled water to make the paste, and I used about 2-3 tablespoon of the powder to mix the paste. The powder has a onion/garlic/herb smell, which at first I was like hmph I wonder how this will make my hair smell afterwards. But the smell grow on me, also the next thing I discover is you need to use as little as possible, I don’t think you will need 2-3 tablespoon, I found that out when I mix it.

Here is how it goes, you are suppose to soak the methi seeds over night in water and the next morning you grind it to a paste. What  did was I got the powder, so i mix my powder according to the measure with warm water overnight and allow it to sit, when it sits overnight, the mucilage forms and this is a good thing as you get a lot of paste and the powder is more than able to give good coverage. Doh I use way to much, I honestly only need a heaped table spoon or at the most and heap tablespoon and a half.

Anyways, I got up the next days and I apply it to dry hair, methi (fenugreek)powder can be to cleanse the hair and scalp. I thought let me see how well it works on its own with the use of shampoo. I apply as shown in my pics above from my scalp to ends THOROGHLY covering both hair and scalp. I let this sit on my hair for about 1-2hrs maybe 3hours lost track of time. I had also covered it with a shower steam cap, you DO NOT WANT the powder to dry in your hair.

After this time I proceed to rinse my hair in the sections that was duck clipped up with warm water. It seem to rinse out easily because of the mucilage. After I rinse each section once at time (there are 4 sections). I thought this is pretty kool as my hair left silky, smooth, strong and conditioned at the same time. BUT to my surprise……….,

180220114693 180220114694 

There was grain left behind, NOW these gains of methi (fenugreek) powder reminds me ever so much of ‘coarse gain cornmeal’. They did not bother me as I notice that once I apply my DC and detangle that this ceased the gains out well from my scalp and hair and by the time I come to rinse again after my DC steam a lot if not all was rinse completely out.

Now with that being said THIS is HOW I feel about Methi (fenugreek) powder; I honestly liked it and I have used it many times since I wrote this review. It makes my hair feel so silky and it has been helping me since I discover it with my transition. Because it make my NG so silk and it almost eliminate the demarcation b/n the two texture; it seem smoothes over the line of demarcation so I am able to work with both texture without breakage.

Did I mentioned I had bought a 1kg of this powder *shamed face* lol The other thing I like about this powder is I a use a lot of other ayurvedic powders, such as Amla Powder, Brahmi Powder, Henna. In the past before meth (fenugreek) powder. I had to use twice these powders to get enough for a through coverage. Now with methi (fenugreek) powder due to the forming of the mucilage. I can use it and it helps to stretch the volume of these powders, so where I had to 200g of the powders mentioned above, I now use 100g and a heaped tablespoon of methi powder and let it sit overnight for mucilage and the swelling of the powder.

The only thing I can say that I notice is that it does not cleanse the scalp as well as I thought it would. So if you have build up on the scalp then you need to shampoo to get rid of that. Other wise the methi powder works perfect and I am really pleased with this powder. I wished I had realized its true potential and benefits when I first researched it years back.

It is perfect for stretching the volume of your other ayurvedic powders, it makes your hair silky, it smoothes the hair shaft/cuticle, it strengthens and it conditions. Also as a bonus it is suppose to promote growth with continual use. My next experiment is to make a methi (fenugreek) powder tea to use to rinse my hair with while I have my hair in extensions…., stay tune for the review.

So I can say I will be using this powder for a very loooong time to come as I like the results it has yield.

Rating: 5/5

Price: £2.09 for 1kg @ www.cotsherb.co.uk

23 comments:

  1. withintheword9 March 2011 01:43

    Interesting! I use henna and kalpi tone ( indigo gives me a headache so I stopped using it) and love the results so I may now venture out to try this. The closest I've come to the methi is the methi sativa protein treatment from hairveda.com which is the most moisturizing protein treatment ever....I wonder if the methi in it is behind this?mmmmm......
    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I have this powder and didn't get a chance to use it. I am stop trying with Ayuverdic powders, but I am determined to give them a second chance, since I want to use up my stash. I know you said that it would be good with other powders. Do you think it would be good with Alma powder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I boiled the seeds in extra virgin coconut oil. So potent and excellent for hair growth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you all also know that methi (fenugreek) is good for breast firming/toning and also helps to increase the size of breasts naturally. You can have it as fenugreek tea or just rub some paste over your assets and let it dry up before you wash it off. Just try! You'd be delighted....The tea also helps with pain-free periods.

    Padma (India)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fenugreek seeds(a teaspoonful)when swallowed early morning on empty stomach relieves joint pains,as well as constipation............!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very reassuring review because I wanted to use fenugreek for my scalp problems. I really wanted to use the soak and then crush method and then apply but it seems like you had residue even with the powder!

    I think I'll just get the powder and see how it goes. I would love to stretch my ayurvedic powders too, I can't get them all the time and have to travel like an hour to get them (don't really have the time for that =/ ). So yeah that's quite reassuring. Love the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesomely described... i too use fenugreek n amla mix fa mah scalp treatment.... it works superb...

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://anwesha-mohantythoughtsindulge.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have a question ....
    actually i m confusing about the boiling process of meethi .....
    whether i have to boil the meethi seeds in water and then add into coconut oil ......
    or i have to boil meethi seeds in coconut oil and leave it over ni8 to soak ....
    one more question ....meethi seeds should be boiled for 2 min or more ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the directions are vague. I started with the seeds at first but I didn't get much paste out of it so I got the powder instead. Since my hair isn't very long or thick 1.5 tablespoons of the fenugreek powder is enough. I boil water and add about 5 tablespoons of boiled water to the powder. I'm experimenting with how much water to add but I think it is better to start with less than have it watery. I let it soak overnight and I'm left with a thick paste. Right before I am ready to use the paste, I added a tablespoon of olive oil and added curd (yogurt) to get the amount needed to cover my hair. I tried using coconut oil, but since I used it with curd, the coconut oil hardened and I had "grain" left over which took a couple of rinses with water to get out. Hope this helped!

      Delete
  10. Can i use methi for blackening my greying hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No methi will not darken your hair I am afraid, it is is used for silky hair results, scalp issues etc You can try indigo for dark hair, or amla.

      You will get better results from indigo, with amla you have to use it consistently over a period of time.

      HTH

      Delete
  11. I have a query about methi..... I made an oil, using coconut oil, soaked methi seeds,curry leaves, amla n henna.I applied it on my daughter's hair... I got a complaint from school that there is a strong odour.... Is methi that really bad? I am not able to get any strong odor ... Please clarify...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not use it in her hair mentioned, as methi does smell like onion/garlic to me. So I can only imagine the smell that may come from soaking it in oil and applying it to the scalp.

      I would just use it as a paste on her scalp and then co-wash/shampoo it out. You will still see and get good results.

      Or use the oil as a pre-poo. then rinse out. HTH

      Delete
  12. It looks really amazing!! I have to try it!! Thanks for sharing :-)
    sesame seeds
    fennel seeds

    ReplyDelete
  13. i dont get it.This girl in the pic has thickest hair why the heck she needs so many hair packs..Africans anyway have the most coarse hair..but still she is unhappy..very wierd...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not sure why you would be concerned with how many packets this person would be using.

      Btw not all black people are African

      Delete
  14. BLOG is awesome, and things you have enlighten, are extremely helpful for healthy Hair health great Blog is hard to find…
    herbalhills

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kesh King Ayurvedic Hair Oil, Shampoo & Capules is purely based on safe & harmless ayurvedic theory and Specifically used for deep nourishment of hair roots & scalp, checks loss of hair, stops premature of hair, Alopecia, Baldness, prevents from dandruff, sleeplessness & headache.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always a struggle to grow hair out long and healthy, while still using heat on your hair. Sometimes it seems impossible to be able to put down the straightener and curling iron. Keshking hair oil is best for long grow of hair, shining, maintain colour deep nourishment of hair roots & scalp, checks loss of hair, stops premature of hair, prevents from dandruff, whiteness, regrowth of hairs, sleeplessness & headache.
    More information visit this websites link below :www.keshking.com,www.keshking.in
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxnf97rRvjk

    ReplyDelete
  17. How many times should i use in a week?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi thanx for grt info. I want to how many times in a week or in a month to apply funugreek hair pack?

    ReplyDelete